Rechercher dans ce blog

samedi 19 avril 2014

AtoZ Challenge: I...

...is for Impossible.

There's a saying in French that just cracks me up - "Impossible n'est pas français", which translates as "Impossible isn't French". The blatant falsity of this expression, the arrogance underlying it, make me laugh.

The other day, there was a short philosophy programme on Arte, and the theme was "Possible". The philosopher said that "What is possible is what is not" and that got me thinking (the aim of the programme, I guess, though I didn't watch till the end - there's only so much televised philosophy a girl can take). If all that is not is possible, then nothing is really IMpossible. There may be some things that are more likely than others, but nothing is actually impossible...

It makes you think, doesn't it? I mean, the French saying is still (in my opinion) a statement of pure Gallic arrogance (something that's never in short supply, it must be said), but maybe it could be adapted, maybe it should just be "Impossible n'existe pas".

Leaving this clinic is thus possible, finding happiness is possible, everything is possible.

As I said, it makes you think.

Aucun commentaire: